Disappointed in Process

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Daly de Gagne

Disappointed in Process

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Normally responses to posters' concerns are prompt. And I appreciate the blog when the beta was first being privately tested.

However, of late I noticed there was a delay in the beta process, and no communication via the blog as to what was happening. At the same time, it seemed there was less response from Milenix to posters on the forum -- and less activity generally.

There is much I like about the beta for version 4, but I still find the web features do not perform consistently. Also, I wish the process of linking to other Windows files was easier.

I am disappointed there is no hoist feature for the outline. Hoist is very convenient if one has a large outline. Earlier this year Ultra Recall was not planning a hoist feature for their latest edition either, but the number of requests from users changed their mind, and now UR has a hoist feature.

Also, I must correct you with re to the metadata card or column, both ADM and UltraRecall have long offered this feature, so MI is not the first.

In spite of the criticisms, I believe the next version of MI is a big step forward.

Daly

Nonetheless, it is a welcome addition.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Daly, I agree with you that we were slow in responding and keeping you informed about the development of MyInfo 4. I apologize for that fact and we will try improve our responsiveness and reply speed!
Daly de Gagne wrote:I wish the process of linking to other Windows files was easier
What are your suggestions in this respect?
Daly de Gagne wrote:I am disappointed there is no hoist feature for the outline.
I understand you about this issue, however please keep in mind that it will be very demanding from a developer's point of view to add this feature to MyInfo in terms of costs and time. However, if there really is a great demand for it, we will find a way to add it.
Daly de Gagne wrote:Also, I must correct you with re to the metadata card or column, both ADM and UltraRecall have long offered this feature, so MI is not the first.
Maybe we were not clear enough in our blog. Of course that MyInfo is not the first application to offer metadata capabilities, this feature exists even in GrandView, an application from the 80ies. However MyInfo 4 is the first application to offer both columns in the tree view of the application and access to these columns in a separate Attributes pane. Ultra Recall and ADM offer columns, but they are not in the tree, but in a separate pane, which makes them a little more inconvenient to use.
If I am wrong about the above, please tell correct me.

Again, thank you for your constructive criticisms. We will try to improve!
Daly de Gagne

Post by Daly de Gagne »

Petko wrote:Daly, I agree with you that we were slow in responding and keeping you informed about the development of MyInfo 4. I apologize for that fact and we will try improve our responsiveness and reply speed!

Petko, thanks for that. I think there's real interest in what you are doing, and how your program fills a market niche. For some who are becoming overwhelmed or disillusioned with the complexity of Ultra Recall, for example, MI may be the perfect program.
Daly de Gagne wrote:I wish the process of linking to other Windows files was easier
Petko wrote:What are your suggestions in this respect?

I would like to be able to simply drag and drop a file onto the outline in the place where I would like it to appear, or to do a simple cut and paste. The option shoul be there to open the file from either the tree or within a doc.
Daly de Gagne wrote:I am disappointed there is no hoist feature for the outline.
Petko wrote:I understand you about this issue, however please keep in mind that it will be very demanding from a developer's point of view to add this feature to MyInfo in terms of costs and time. However, if there really is a great demand for it, we will find a way to add it.

I am not hearing a demand on this forum. However, I do know that this is a feature that is increasingly common. Hoisting makes it much mre convenient to work with a large outline. If it is a case of having to do it sooner or later, I would certainly argue for sooner.
You're most welcome.

When is the next beta version due?

Daly
joshi

Post by joshi »

Let me put in my vote in favor of a hoist feature. I used to have a program that had that feature and I found it very helpful.
joshi

Post by joshi »

Petko,

You said that hoist would be difficult feature to implement. I was thinking, could you implement a feature that would allow the user to simply "hide" all the documents in a topic except for the document (and its subdocuments) that the user wants to work on. (I don't view this as a true hoist feature since there wouldn't be a separate window for the hoisted document, but it's been a long time since I've used a program with a hoist function).

Would this type of feature be easier to program into MI?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

joshi, both features are the same from a programming point of view.

Daly, there will be no more beta versions of MyInfo 4. We will ship the final version of the product in the next couple of days.
Dr.J

Post by Dr.J »

I agree completely that there is a need for some added ability to focus on selected documents. Hoisting allows the user to focus on a particular document and its subdocuments. Even more important, I believe the filtered document view should retain columns and allow expansion to subdocuments and editing of columns within the filtered view. Along with the reminder function that has already been designed, these additions will make 4.0 the "best of breed" and give it competitive advantages over ADM, UltraRecall and other information/knowledge managers.