Upgrade to version 5

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
keiffer

Upgrade to version 5

Post by keiffer »

I purchased the Pro version for $30 when it was on sale at bitsdujour in April.
I received an email today about version 5 coming out this week and the upgrade price is another $30. Will people that bought in April have to pay another $30? If so, that makes the total price $60. I sorry but the program is okay but not worth $60. There are other programs out there that do a better job for that kind of money. And, they offer a one year free upgrade.

I guess I will have to take advantage of your 90-day Unconditional Money Back Guarantee.

Sorry if this sounds rude or harsh but it's been less than 90 days and I'm being asked for more money.

Keith
BobMack

Post by BobMack »

So let me see.

You bought the program at a discount price and used it for two months.

You are being offered a discount price for an upgraded version, if you want it.

And you're not happy and want your money back on the version you are using.

Yep, think that covers it.
keiffer

Post by keiffer »

Yes, BobMack, you have it exactly right.
Crystal401

Post by Crystal401 »

Keiffer:

I am asking this because I am really curious.
You think there are other programs that do a better job for $60...
Can you name a few?

Because I can't find anything - that's why I settled with MyInfo and
I am quite happy with it.

Just curious...
BobMack

Post by BobMack »

Well, to be accurate, he paid $30, not $60, for a perfectly good copy of MyInfo.

His complaint seems to be that he feels he deserves a free upgrade on top of that.

:roll:
keiffer

Post by keiffer »

Well, this thread is about the pricing/policy of upgrades. We can get in a pissing match about all day long about what application is better.

But since Crystal asked a question and I'll try to help.

Crystal, capture a copy of this forum page. What does it look like? I see the Author column compressed. Doesn't look that good to me. Doesn't look like what I see on the screen. Now, download WebResearch and UltraRecall and capture this forum page again. Looks just like the page. What I see is what I get. WebReseach is less than $50 and UltraRecall has been on bitsdujour at a discount. I also used Surfulator and EverNote and they weren't as good as the first two but at least the Author column wasn't compressed.

I wasn't able to try it with MyBase yet but it seemed to do a good job with web captures so far. It also was on bitsdujour with free upgrades for a year. I made sure to ask about that since their forum had mentioned a new version was coming out this year.

I was willing to accept that MyInfo didn't do web captures as well as other apps and that it was being worked on. I was just using it for snippets for now. I just can't see paying more for something it was suppose to already do.

If the sale had been $60 with free upgrade to version 5, I would have passed on it since this is what is happening with this upgrade.

If I'm the only one that bought it on bitsdujour and has a problem with the upgrade then just assume I'm just a crackpot and should be ignored.

I'm sorry if I have ruffled the feathers of all the die hard fans. I will just get my money back and quietly move on. Go back to what you were done. "Enhance your calm".
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Keiffer, MyInfo upgrade policy is the same as the upgrade policy of the already mentioned UltraRecall (major upgrade within 60 days of purchase are free, all minor updates too). I can understand your frustration, because this is not yet documented - this is something that will be addressed soon.

If you are not happy with MyInfo, I will be glad to refund your order, even if the 90 money back guarantee was over. Just send me your order details at sales@milenix.com.

On the technical side of the things: please note that MyInfo can capture a whole web page just perfect (preserving all the images and formatting). You need to use Insert > Web Document and check the Save Local Copy of the Web Page.
In all other cases, please keep in mind that in order to enable you to edit the captured content later, MyInfo needs to sacrifice some formatting and layout. Other application, which allow you to edit the stored snippets like Surfulartor also have similar limitations.
Last edited by Petko on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crystal401

Post by Crystal401 »

Keiffer,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
It seems like we have very different needs from the tools we use.
That's cool.

However, before you decide on UltraRecall....
you know that they ceased development, right?

There won't be any feature improvements etc... search google.

Regards,
gepner

Post by gepner »

Crystal401:

Just to correct the record, ultrarecall has not discontinued development. They just recently started testing of a beta for the next version.
keiffer

Post by keiffer »

Thank you for the information, Petko.

I tried your suggestion and it worked. It doesn't work like the other apps. It's more steps and it forces me to enter a title and a location in the database to save it to. I'm use to just a couple of clicks in the browser window and the web page is put in the database. Move on to the next web page and repeat. I then go back and sort web captures later. The title has already been inserted by the app. I guess my needs are different than other people.

Crystal, I had read about UltraRecall not being worked on but their forum shows that they have been working on version 4 this month. They haven't said how much the upgrade would cost.

Keith
harbri

Post by harbri »

Surely everyone is missing the point?

It doesn't matter whether keiffer paid $1 or $100 for his copy of MyInfo. The deal he got at the time of purchase is not important, but the question of having to pay for an upgrade within 90 days of buying the product is questionable.

And remember, he will only get the reduced upgrade price of $30 if he is one of the lucky 300. If not, the upgrade will actually cost him $45, making a total of $75 for the product which is getting quite expensive.

Had keiffer known 2 months ago that his product would be "out of date" within 2-3 months of buying it, would he have bought it at the reduced price on offer?

And surely the reduced price was offered with Minlinex's blessing so don't they have a moral obligation in this matter?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I want just to clarify that the release of MyInfo 5 doesn't mean that we will stop maintaining MyInfo 4. Quite the opposite - all bug fixes for MyInfo 5 will be incorporated in MyInfo 4, if this is technically possible.

The discussion about our upgrade policy is open for any constructive feedback, so every opinion is important for us.
TopDog

Post by TopDog »

I also bought version 4 at the discount from bitsdujour. The only reason I bought it is because of the continuing development. I currently use TexNotePro which has served very well. But seems to have stalled out. It has a few things I would like to see improved. Anyway I wanted a program that would continue to grow and develop. I bought this program knowing there was a major upgrade coming up and anticipating paying an upgrade price. But I was committed to leaving my beloved TexNotePro behind because it has apparently left me behind.

What I'm saying is I'm going to pay the upgrade price and stick with it. I knew all this when I bought it in April and as I look at it, I'm saving a few bucks.
harbri

Post by harbri »

I bought my copy from Iconico and as there was no indication that I was buying an "end of the line" version, I felt that for $30 the program was a good buy.

But had I known that I would need to fork out another $30 - $45 within a couple of months of buying the software I would not have bothered. I personally don't think the software can justify such a price tag and I think it is morally wrong to encourage people to buy an "end of version" item without ensuring that they are aware of this extremely important fact.

If I was offered version-5 today for a price between $60 - $75 I simply would not buy it, so Milinix have got my custom by methods I personally think are questionable.

But because I now use the software, have started to rely on it and like to keep my software up-to-date, I felt I had no choice but to upgrade at the "first 300" price of $30 because if I left it too late, the price would go up by another 50%.

So I'm certainly not a happy customer at this time !
BobMack

Post by BobMack »

For the sake of argument, I will set aside the fact that the people who are complaining basically bought the program at half-price, though I would dispute the contention that this is not relevant to the question at hand.

Nonetheless, I still don't understand the reasoning behind statements like these:

"But had I known that I would need to fork out another $30 - $45 within a couple of months of buying the software I would not have bothered."

"...the question of having to pay for an upgrade within 90 days..."

Whatever gives someone the idea that they need to buy the upgrade? Where is this perceived compulsion coming from?

You purchased a perfectly usable program- the same one I've been using productively for several years.

I don't know about you, but I certainly don't feel I have to buy every upgrade of every program I use. If you want the bells and whistles of the latest version, you can pay for them. If you don't, you still have a very serviceable copy of MyInfo 4-one that is not going to stop working just because V5 came out.