Search error: please write at least one search term

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
arrowman

Search error: please write at least one search term

Post by arrowman »

In 5.05 beta (download of november 25, 2009), when I search for "global-ignores" (without the quotes), I get a message dialog:
Please write at least one search term
It seems the "-" confuses the search function.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Yes, I've noticed that behavior too. Hyphens, even when linking words, are always interpreted as negative searches.

There's another problem with the hyphen. Sometimes I'm just searching for something (a word or phrase) that is not present in my notes, and I get the same error message ("Please write at least one search term"). It's annoying (and confusing) to have to put in a second search term to make the "-" work.

Any chance of a fix in future releases, Petko?
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Negative only searching is currently not possible in MyInfo due to technical reasons. Probably it will be added in some of the future versions, but I can't tell when, because we rely on outside technology for the indexing and searching.
arrowman

Post by arrowman »

I'm not sure what you mean by "negative only serarching", but I just wanted to search for the literal "global-ignores", with no special meaning for the '-' (not that it matters, but global-ignores is the name of a Subversion configuration setting, that I keep notes about in MyInfo).

If there's a way to escape the '-' in MyInfo searches, that would be acceptable too.

It seems the workaround is to search for "global ignores" (phrase searching, with the '-' replaced by a space).
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Punctuation marks like - are not indexed, so the workaround that you use is the only way currently to search for such texts.