Link to specific place in document

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
CyberCrone

Link to specific place in document

Post by CyberCrone »

I swear I saw some instructions from Petko on how to create an anchor in text and then create a link to go to that exact place, but I can't find it now, even doing a search on "link". So far I am able to link only to a document. ???
wsp

Post by wsp »

It's easy. Place the cursor in a document that you want to link to. Bring up the right-click menu and select "Copy link to this paragraph."

Then go to another document and insert the link with control-v.

At least that's how it works in 5.07. I noticed that that control-v doesn't insert the link in the beta -- presumably a bug. (Petko?)

If you prefer, you can also use the menu: Edit>Copy link>Copy link to this paragraph.
Bill
CyberCrone

Post by CyberCrone »

wsp wrote:It's easy. Place the cursor in a document that you want to link to. Bring up the right-click menu and select "Copy link to this paragraph."

Then go to another document and insert the link with control-v.

At least that's how it works in 5.07. I noticed that that control-v doesn't insert the link in the beta -- presumably a bug. (Petko?)

If you prefer, you can also use the menu: Edit>Copy link>Copy link to this paragraph.
I just found out today that in the beta you have to click on the document title to open a read only copy, and then click on Edit in the read only window, and it will close and then you can paste the link, but altho I can make this work for link to a document I haven't been able to make this work for "Copy link to this paragraph". I find this process confusing so I might be messing it up somehow. I am trying to think of a suggestion for Petko as to how he might make it less confusing. I mean, why does the read only window have to be opened at all? I'm sure he had a good reason for doing it that way but it baffles me! :roll:
wsp

Post by wsp »

Sounds like a bug to me. Petko, would you care to comment?
Bill
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

CyberCrone wrote:I just found out today that in the beta you have to click on the document title to open a read only copy, and then click on Edit in the read only window, and it will close and then you can paste the link, but altho I can make this work for link to a document I haven't been able to make this work for "Copy link to this paragraph". I find this process confusing so I might be messing it up somehow. I am trying to think of a suggestion for Petko as to how he might make it less confusing. I mean, why does the read only window have to be opened at all? I'm sure he had a good reason for doing it that way but it baffles me! :roll:
You don't have to open the document in the read-only window in order to paste a link in it. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here?
In order to create a link to a specific part in a document, you:
1. Go to the document, right-click on the place where you want your link to point to.
2. Click Copy Link to this Paragraph.
3. Go to the document you want to place the link and paste the link where you want there.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Petko, it's no. 3 in your list -- the pasting -- that doesn't work in the beta. I have tried both control-v and and Edit>Paste, and neither procedure would insert the link into the second document.
Bill
CyberCrone

Post by CyberCrone »

wsp wrote:Petko, it's no. 3 in your list -- the pasting -- that doesn't work in the beta. I have tried both control-v and and Edit>Paste, and neither procedure would insert the link into the second document.
Petko: Yep, ditto. I think it was from wsp that I learned how to make it work by opening read only window. Otherwise nil. How wsp figured that out is beyond me.
wsp

Post by wsp »

I wish I were that clever, but I think it must have been someone else.
Bill
CyberCrone

Post by CyberCrone »

wsp wrote:I wish I were that clever, but I think it must have been someone else.
OOOOPS! 8=)
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Sorry, it's a bug then. Will be fixed soon.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It was related to the "can't paste HTML bug". Both will be fixed in the next beta release.