Upgrade from 5.07 question

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
zaaman41

Upgrade from 5.07 question

Post by zaaman41 »

Do I need to uninstall 5.x before installing 6.x. Or can I just install over it? I don't remember reading anything that specified what to do.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It will work both ways, but it is always recommended to uninstall the old version first.
zaaman41

Post by zaaman41 »

Thank you. I will uninstall to be safe.
jamal

Post by jamal »

What are the "best practice" steps for installing & upgrading? Neither the Readme file nor this forum seem to have anything documented that everyone can refer to.

The portable version creates a new folder (MyInfo 6 Portable), so it essentially creates a new blank installation. Whereas, current installation sits separately in "MyInfo 5 Portable." Obviously, the two need to be merged, the topics and configuration need to be copied etc.. It would be good to have some reference as to what needs to be done and how. Or, is there another way of doing it by somehow installing over the old stuff?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Jamal, it is best to just install over the old installation (in the same folder). This will overwrite files that should be replaced and leave the others intact.
jamal

Post by jamal »

Petko, thank you for your response. Is the name of the installation folder referenced anywhere? That is, after installing over the old installation (MyInfo 5 Portable), if I rename the top folder, do I need to update the folder name somewhere?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

No, portable installations are self-contained and can be moved anywhere.