Multiple Views of the Tree...

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
kf

Multiple Views of the Tree...

Post by kf »

This is going to sound weird and may be impossible, but would it be possible to allow different views of the document tree? I first thought of this in relation to sorting. After spending lots of time working out a complex tree structure so I know where everything is, it sometimes becomes useful to sort things... well, once things are in a tree sorting isnt as helpful! But, what if you could temporarily "flatten" the tree? Then you could sort the documents, work with the data, and then put the tree back into it's hierarchical state.

I thought about that for a bit, then realized that with the power of filters, sorting becomes less critical for finding data (though still useful for other things). But, what if the user could make multiple views? Each view could be a totally different arrangement of the same documents. This would lend a dynamic aspect to the normally structured tree implementation. A dropdown over the treepane could show which view is current, and the user could choose, add, and delete views. Temporary flattening would be possible, but you could also have two different trees of the same data.

I realize this isnt trivial... in fact, one question I had was what happens if you arent in the default view when you create a new document? Where does it go when you switch to a view that didnt have it before? Also, what about exporting? Which view do you export? (I think the current one is the correct choice, but it opens up all sorts of options.)

So, that's the idea... roughed in, anyway! Let me know what you think,

Kevin
reesd

Post by reesd »

I think what I listed in [url]http://www.milenix.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2120[/url] is close to what you want.

Depending on the implementation its not that difficult to do other than filtering needs to follow the tree rather than going linearly. When you create the tree filter you need to tell it if it applies filters to leaf nodes only or to their parents also which can filter out whole sub-trees. If a child node makes it then all its parents make it (there are variations on this but this is the easiest).

d