Many suggestions from my experience

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
hugh

Many suggestions from my experience

Post by hugh »

I've tried many PIM, note-taking(outliner), web clipping software, like Surfulater, EverNote, Info Select, InfoHandler, myBase, KeyNote, TreePad, Onfolio, General Knowledge Base, Ultra Recall, SQLNotes(new software), Omea, Treeline, and Web Research etc(ps:all these official websites can be searched out by Google). So far I think MyInfo is most suited to me. This great software meets most of my requirements.However, compared to the softwares I've mentioned previously, MyInfo lacks some important features as following:

1.Feature request: trigger
Suggestion from: SQLNotes
Explanation:
A column could trigger another one. This concept is from Database Theory, and most modern RDBMS have such feature.

2.Feature request: timeline view
Suggestion from: Surfulater
Explanation:
Showing all Articles in the order they were created.In Surfulater, this is called Chronological tree. This feature is the same with archives of blog system.
Demo or picture: http://www.surfulater.com/overview.html

3.Feature request: category
Suggestion from: Evernote,Omea,Web Reasearch
Explanation:
Allowing you to categorize documents within multiple category, which can be imagined as "hierarchy tag". Although this feature can be achieved by the built-in column type "category" or clone feature, the interface is not good to manage.
Demo or picture: http://www.evernote.com/products/everno ... asics.html
http://www.macropool.com/en/products/we ... uments.htm

4.Feature request: count column
Suggestion from: Ultra Recall
Explanation:
A column recording how many times some document has been viewed for statistical use. And then filter the most hot documents in today, past 1 week, or past 1 month etc according to count column.

5.Feature improvement request: related document
Suggestion from: myBase,Ultra Recall
Explanation:
We can insert hyperlink into a document and then "Link to Document in This Topic" to establish relation between these two documents. But how do I know current document have any document linking to it? And if any, how do I find which document was linked to current document?

Thanks to read so long article. :D
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Thank you for your suggestions. Just a few words on two of them:
hugh wrote:2.Feature request: timeline view
Suggestion from: Surfulater
Explanation:
Showing all Articles in the order they were created.In Surfulater, this is called Chronological tree. This feature is the same with archives of blog system.
I think that you could accomplish this very close to what Surfulater does, by creating a new filter for all documents (Document Title | Is Not Empty criterion) and selecting Group By | Created On | Descending.
This will show all documents in the topic, grouped by date (or week if they are old) and sorted from the newest to the oldest one.
hugh wrote:4.Feature request: count column
Suggestion from: Ultra Recall
Explanation:
A column recording how many times some document has been viewed for statistical use. And then filter the most hot documents in today, past 1 week, or past 1 month etc according to count column.
We have considered this option in the past, however it is not possible to that without creating too much of a hassle for the user, because in order to store this data, you will have to save every topic you use, each time you use it. And if you use for example 10 topics, you will have to decide if to save each of them every time you close the application.