Suggestion: annotation for HTML; Import filter for ODT OpenD

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
Coolrat

Suggestion: annotation for HTML; Import filter for ODT OpenD

Post by Coolrat »

A few suggestions that may or may not be useful.

1. Annotation.
I believe that the ablity to annotate HTML files would be really very very useful.
When I download a page, or import HTML pages, I usally want to highlight text, or add sticky notes. Is it possible to implement such a feature? I think everyone would find it very useful indeed. Currently the only apps (other than a PDF editor) that have this feature are Mendely, Qippa, Citavi (I think) and the uber-powerful AtlasTI for qualitative data analysis.

Speaking of AtlasTI, you might want to try out some of its features, or read about its functions. Although it is a very different product, it offers interesting options for categorizing and sorting data.

2. Import of ODT Open Document format.
Many users at TreeDB implored the developer to implement filters to import ODT, ODF opendocument format. Many of use use LibreOffice and OpenOffice exclusively. The lack of import options for these formats is a bit frustrating. Implementing such a filter would also get you plenty of free publicity as one of the few apps that includes such a filter and might attract fans of LibreOffice.

I would guess that the format is well documented and the source code should be available. Is this difficult to implement?

Thank you!
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

Qiqqa, Citavi, and Biblioscape are great at annotating PDF references. You can also step up one level in complexity and try either Atlas.ti or NVivo, but these are quite specialized. Personally, I have all five applications loaded on my machine and use each for the strengths they provide. Yes, I'm still searching for the one and only app that will do it all :D .
-- Glen
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Hi! I'm also using AtlasTI and am very impressed by it. Between MyInfo, AtlasTI and Zotero, I've covered pretty much all my entire workflow for research. I gave up on Mendeley, Citavi -- not a big fan of proprietary software when opensource will do the job and maintain open international standards.

But like you I continue to search for the 'ultimate tool'! MyInfo is pretty important to me now!
chal4oye

Post by chal4oye »

You can also step up one level in complexity and try either Atlas.ti or NVivo, but these are quite specialized. Personally, I have all five applications loaded on my machine and use each for the strengths they provide. Yes, I'm still searching for the one and only app that will do it all :D . ???