Compatibility with Linux, WINE and Crossover

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
Coolrat

Compatibility with Linux, WINE and Crossover

Post by Coolrat »

Owing to frustration with viruses and hackers, I'm thinking of switching OS to Linux.

I decided to test to see if MyInfo will run properly in WINE in Linux. I installed CrossOver Linux 12.5 and installed MyInfo. Running the MyInfo installer in Crossover worked perfectly and it appeared that the installation succeeded. But when I tried to start MyInfo, it failed to start and a message appeared saying "abnormal program termination"

I checked the CodeWeavers website to find that MyInfo is listed as an application that will not run http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... ;details=1.

Does anyone else have any experience trying to run MyInfo in WiNE or in Crossover?

Petko if you have time, please have a look at http://www.codeweavers.com/services/engagements/ to see if there is some way to tweak MyInfo so that it will run successfully in WINE or Crossover in Linux. I believer that Linux users would be interested. Years ago, a post I made on the TreeDBnotes forum about using TreeDBnotes in Linux attracted several thousand views in the course of a year- far more than the majority of posts on that active forum.

I'd be thrilled if I could get TreeDBnotes running in WINE! Perhaps many others would feel the same.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

In order MyInfo to work, you need to add the following DLL override in WINE:

CyberCrone

Post by CyberCrone »

Coolrat, did Petko's suggestion work for you?
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

CyberCrone wrote:Coolrat, did Petko's suggestion work for you?
Hi I finally had time to try that override in WINE.
I cant' see clearly in the screenshot if it say "adiplus" or "qdiplus".
I entered both as overrides and MyInfo will still not run in WINE.

I wonder what else might be wrong?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It's "gdiplus", sorry for not writing it in the post too.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Thanks for posting that!
I'm going to be testing MyInfo in Linux more thoroughly in the coming months. I've just had too many problems with Windows 7. Its very strange how I, as an intermediate computer user, have the remarkable ability to crash every version of Windows nearly every day. I really suspect it has to do with running a mulit-language system and that Windows was never designed to handle this properly.

I want to switch to Linux, but rely so heavily on MyInfo, and several photo editing programs, that making the switch will be difficult. I sincerely hope that MyInfo will have a native Linux version available this year.