[added] MyInfo 7: Lock Note improvements

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
SleepyBalrog

[added] MyInfo 7: Lock Note improvements

Post by SleepyBalrog »

I like the ability to lock a note so it cannot be edited. But the ability to select several notes an lock / unlock them would be nice, as would the ability to do this from the context menu (right click menu) and to be able to lock / unlock a note and all its children / descendants (the entire hierarchy).
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Locking multiple selected notes is planned for some of the next updates.
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

Any idea when this may be implemented?

It's really needed to select a bunch of notes to lock / unlock.

Thanks,
Larry
SleepyBalrog

Post by SleepyBalrog »

How about locking a section, is that easier or quicker to implement?
lbw2112

Post by lbw2112 »

When multiple selected notes lock is implemented it would good to change how easy it is to delete a locked note.

As it works now, it shows a small warning at the bottom of the "Move to Trash" button window that has a yellow triangle with "Warning: Selection contains locked notes" message. This is too easy to skip by especially when you're going through the motions.

I think it should default to not being able to delete a locked note or at least give us a setting in options to select "Delete locked notes" off or on check mark.

When I lock a note I don't want to be able to change anything about it or delete it unless I unlock it. I'd rather have it reject the deletion and just show "Can't delete locked notes" and then I can go through and unlock them if I really want to delete them.

Thanks,
Larry
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

In my workflow I see locked notes only as system to prevent sudden edits. Not as a system to prevent deletion. In addition is it surely a long road to final disappearance.

-> Press delete -> Deletion warning
-> You need go to empty trash -> Empty trash to really delete & get again a warning
-> And could still be in undo history
-> Last resort: the backup file.

So ' preventing' deletion shouldn't be default, IMHO

FWIW: not sure how many hurdles must be build in to prevent ' in motion' user mistakes. I'm already envisioning replacing the emptying trash dialog for a dialog for every single item separately (without a remember button of course :-). With on course an another dialog appearing reconfirming the choice (you never now). And with different shortcuts for accepting/rejecting.. to prevent users to keep hold the shortcut button. It solves the issue of sudden deletion.. however, most people get pretty annoyed. Or invent solutions to circumvent this behaviour.. (macro or something like that), an take the risk of sudden deletion.

The sample is not intended to ridicule the request or to be offensive..however illustrates the underlaying problem from ' user perspective' . I'm also reluctant based on development perspective. More settings, means more combinations, and more area's where something can go wrong (so more bugs). And those are hard to find; and often corner cases. So not really worth to fix..
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Starting with build 6582, you can now lock/unlock multiple selected notes.

As for the deletion behavior of locked notes, I am still thinking about it.