Native Linux version

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
Coolrat

Native Linux version

Post by Coolrat »

Hi!

I've been an avid user of MyInfo for many years now.
When version 7 was released, I enthusiastically bought a licence knowing that it was based on new cross-platform architecture.

While version 7 does work in WINE, it has many problems compared to version 6.
Please consider releasing a native Linux version soon. I'm quite sure that many hundreds of Linux users would line up to purchase MyInfo 7. Nothing in the open-source world comes close to matching it.

More and more computer users are switching to Linux as it become increasingly clear that Microsoft and Apple are overly concerned with mining our personal data.
A Linux version of MyInfo 7 will prove quite popular.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Petko is aware. Not sure if Petko is going for full Linux build or for Wine as compatibility layer (I suspect the latter). And there is bit of an (unexpected) issue between Wine and Chromium (or they way it's implemented in MyInfo). While MyInfo being Chromium based.

No clue at which side the issue should be solved; Chromium; Wine or MyInfo (or maybe even all together?)
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Thanks Telesto,
I don't want to pester Petko too much about this.
I mainly hope to attract the attention of other Linux users or potential users to show there is a definite need and a market niche.

The compatibility problem with MyInfo 7 and WINE and chromium is making it impossible for me to seriously use MyInfo 7. I've written to Codeweavers (Crossover) about the problem to which they replied,
Unfortunately a lot apps built on the Chromium Embedded Framework either don't work or have ton of issues running through Crossover/WINE. We are continually working to improve compatibility but web browsers are some of the most complex pieces of software out there so implementing everything they need is very difficult.
Sadly, I may have to switch to a native Linux app (MyBase is the only serious contender) if a resolution to this problem does not appear soon. Not at all looking forward to that. I've used MyInfo since 2013 (maybe 2012) and have raved endlessly about it since then.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Coolrat wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:57 pm
Unfortunately a lot apps built on the Chromium Embedded Framework either don't work or have ton of issues running through Crossover/WINE. We are continually working to improve compatibility but web browsers are some of the most complex pieces of software out there so implementing everything they need is very difficult.
They Linux world still a quite a niche. They MacOS part already somewhat larger (where include Ipads). And yes MyInfo should be available

They solution would be a native build, so without using Wine as layer in between. I personally prefer native apps.
So hope is possible to port the build environment to directly build on Linux and MacOS. There problem here isn't Chromium here (can be compiled on those system too). Only the whole interacting part with Desktop Environment; at least I would assume so.
Minimizing to tray; clipboard intercept. So overall introducing system specific bugs :-(; which ends up simply more work. And with a developer having only certain amount of time available, say less features or bug fixes.

Another way around maybe running MyInfo in a virtual machine (say based on https://reactos.org/ not sure if this actually works). Or even in a container as alternative. Looking at docker: https://www.docker.com/blog/multi-platf ... er-builds/ [however not totally if and how it works]

Another solution would be a online variant.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Good points Telesto, thanks!

Undoubtedly, the best solution is a native Linux build.

A secondary solution will be a version that functions perfectly in WINE. I used MyInfo 6 in WINE in Linux for years and it ran perfectly. Quite ironically, MyInfo 7, design for ease of cross-platform deployment, runs quite poorly in WINE and is nearly unusable. While running in WINE is an option, the MyInfo web-clipping plugin in Firefox in Linux cannot connect with MyInfo running in WINE. This renders useless the webclipper.

An online version may be an option for many people. However, I dislike all online tools and avoid them as much as possible. Software should empower people, not make them dependent on an internet connection. Many people around the world have very spotty internet access. ie) When I lived in mainland China for my PhD work, many western websites were inaccessible most of the time.

While the Linux market share may be small, it will likely grow as Windows and Mac become increasingly invasive and treat users as information commodities to be mined and marketed. Many of my colleagues have switched to Linux.

MyInfo has been the most important software tool to my work for years. It will be hard to part with.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Coolrat wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:39 pm More and more computer users are switching to Linux as it become increasingly clear that Microsoft and Apple are overly concerned with mining our personal data.
A Linux version of MyInfo 7 will prove quite popular.
Anyhow I totally agree about they data mining part. Even though I have to admit didn't dive into it .. so only thinking about telemetry. However switching to a different OS quite a big step. And if this really will get traction (people switching) MS and Apple will back down.

They prediction of Windows/ MacOS being replaced by open source is going on for years. And most of the world is still using these OS systems. It's becomes more and more about IOS and Android. Same theory going for LibreOffice replacing MSO someday.

And a running with Wine as intermediary is kind of emulation, IMHO. So user experience mostly not really native like (at least while back). Which also shows they dilemma.. Smaller audience less applications for Linux. Less applications for Linux, people not switching to Linux because they lack of programs.
And the open source alternatives often not matching paid options. And running licensed programs on Linux is again off in my perception

Multi platform support would be still nice. And syncing would be also welcome feature. Sadly more desires compared to available developer time. So comes to prioritization. And Linux having only a small share probably not big incentive.