[planned] When updating the portable version, detect automatically the path it is installed

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
cadudesun

[planned] When updating the portable version, detect automatically the path it is installed

Post by cadudesun »

Hi,

It's exciting to receive a pop-up message that a MyInfo update is available.
It is already nice you can click update, then the installer is downloaded and runs automatically.
The problem is that every time I update MyInfo portable, the installation path points to a root folder of a drive letter that isn't connected, and I don't use in my computer (k:\MyInfo 7 Portable).
Since my path is (C:\Apps\AppData\MyInfo\MyInfo_PORTABLE), I need to choose the folder path manually every time I runs the updater/installation.
A further step is needed, because "MyInfo 7 Portable" is automatically appended to the chosen installation folder, and I need to delete it manually (C:\Apps\AppData\MyInfo\MyInfo_PORTABLE\MyInfo 7 Portable).
I've been using some portable apps that performs a totally automatic installation, being necessary just to click "update", then the installer runs directly over the path the app is hosted.

Then the suggestion: When updating the portable version, MyInfo could detect automatically the path it is installed.
Or at least, you need to point manually to the folder just the first time the installer is run, let's say in a scenario I'm running MyInfo in a new computer. After that, the next updates would take into account the chosen folder from the first installation.

Thank you for evaluating this suggestion,
Carlos
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

+1
Same experience
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I think that this is doable and will research it further.
cadudesun

Post by cadudesun »

Petko wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 am I think that this is doable and will research it further.
Many thanks for considering this improvement Petko!