MyInfo 6

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
wsp

MyInfo 6

Post by wsp »

Just as a matter of curiosity: Is MyInfo 6 still supported? Are there still occasional small updates?
Bill
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

wsp wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:15 pm Just as a matter of curiosity: Is MyInfo 6 still supported? Are there still occasional small updates?
I can't give a definitive answer. However MyInfo 7.0 superseded MyInfo 6.0. And the old versions loses support. I'm not seeing any reference to MyInfo 6.0 on the site either. So I would assume it to be legacy. And keeping support is rather expensive; developer time is precious good

But small occasional updates you have in mind; some specific issue? Templates or something else? And what's the reason to stick with MyInfo 6.0? There is apparently a problem with MyInfo 7.0. You might have mentioned it somewhere, I guess.
wsp

Post by wsp »

Yes, I do have recurrent, serious problems with MyInfo 7, mainly having to do with syncing files between two computers. My very clever computer guru was unable to find a solution, and I've been reluctant to discuss it here, because it may be just something wrong in the setup of my computers. The problem is way over my head, and I didn't want to embarrass myself by revealing my technological ignorance.

So at the moment I am just cheering MyInfo on from a safe distance. (I was a happy user of MyInfo 6 for many years, incidentally. I suppose that is why I look back on it with nostalgia now.)
Bill
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

wsp wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:07 pm Yes, I do have recurrent, serious problems with MyInfo 7, mainly having to do with syncing files between two computers. My very clever computer guru was unable to find a solution, and I've been reluctant to discuss it here, because it may be just something wrong in the setup of my computers. The problem is way over my head, and I didn't want to embarrass myself by revealing my technological ignorance.

So at the moment I am just cheering MyInfo on from a safe distance. (I was a happy user of MyInfo 6 for many years, incidentally. I suppose that is why I look back on it with nostalgia now.)
Well, it doesn't need to be technological ignorance.. Don't be to modest. It might be simply a bug (in MyInfo the sync. software or both). The automatic saving feature of MyInfo 7 is less compatible with synchronizing software. MyInfo is pretty much constantly updating the database file. Which can throw off the sync software.

It more a question if it's possible to recreate circumstances on different system: ultimately on Petko's his development environment.

I'm happy to try to recreate the issue at my end, if desired. My memory is patchy however. Was it about Dropbox sync of the database folder of MyInfo on a Windows 10 Desktop/laptop to Surface (Pro) tablet? And what is the problem exactly; missing info. Error messages? Something else?

It can be done in non public space: using PM or e-mail..
wsp

Post by wsp »

Thanks for the kind offer. I think that for the moment I will adopt a more cautious approach. I have by now shifted my notes for that particular project into a different program, but I will continue to install new versions of MyInfo 7 as they become available, will do experiments with them, and will follow the discussions here carefully.
Bill