Should linked MS Office files preview in the browser pane?

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
nocar

Should linked MS Office files preview in the browser pane?

Post by nocar »

In MyInfo 7, when adding a Note based on the External Document template, I am given the option to "Browse for a file to link".
According to the MyInfo 7 Help, I can insert the link and "use it to preview a linked file on your computer".

My question: Once I have linked the file, should I be able to preview that linked file in the browser or editor pane of MyInfo?
I can preview HTML, TXT or PDF files within the editor/browser pane but not Microsoft files such as DOCX or XLSX.
Clicking the linked note title in the tree for these other file types opens them externally.

Is this the normal behavior? If so, are there plans for linked documents such as DOCX or XLSX to be previewed within the browser or editor pane?

Thanks.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

nocar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 pm Is this the normal behavior?
Yes
nocar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:58 pm If so, are there plans for linked documents such as DOCX or XLSX to be previewed within the browser or editor pane?
Would be nice to have, I agree. The current preview (PDF, TEXT, HTML) is based on native Chromium rendering. Preview of DOCX (or DOC) or XLSX are probably requiring multiple different component (engines) Sadly components allowing local native support are - generally speaking - pretty expensive :cry: Well except the online solution (uploading everything to say Google Docs).

Me still desiring PDF editing support (like highlighting/comment box/copy/paste). Same issue..
nocar

Post by nocar »

Telesto, thanks for the quick and clear reply.
theone

Post by theone »

I know most users here know this, but just in case someone does not:

There are 2 ways to join MS Word docx files as discussed, to Myinfo:
Insert (top menu, or right_click in tree outline pane or 2nd column): Notes: External Document
Which gives 2 options of: Attach or Link
So if attached, it launches MS Word for that file.

But of course you can open a docx file in Myinfo's own editor pane too:

Insert (top menu): Notes from files....

Choose any docx file.
Then it opens up the docx file in Myinfo 7.xx so you can edit. See image links below.

It does not sync edited changes to the original external source.
It does not have all the formatting of latest MS Word but has most common features for styling in any Word Processor. That is icons in the second toolbar at top. I drew a red box at top in first image below around the styling options for doc files.
Each doc file has a nice MSWord icon in the tree too.

So if anyone reading this has not tried Myinfo for editing multi docx files in sophisticated tree outline structure and sub-levels, download the trial version. And I am sure most would buy it, if they need for working with multi docx files to turn into a big title. You can make a big book or report or.... easily from many doc parts easily. Then export to multi formats in File (menu): Export...
The new Myinfo version 7 with updates for a few years is a bargain, just buy it and tell friends, in universities, colleges, offices.... and on social media.

Here is some photos, I think if there are some similar photos on the website showing editing docx files inside Myinfo with styling options, many more would buy.

The grey backgrounds are my own custom colors, by default they are white backgrounds.

https://ibb.co/K6xxWmb

https://ibb.co/VTCYSsY

https://ibb.co/bsyLLDm

Thanks for enabling back/forward buttons on mouse, in latest update, very useful.

Also, I'm opening a new feature request topic related to my post here
JabariVillarreal

Post by JabariVillarreal »

Previewing a document in Word online can seem a bit confusing. This is because to save layout and formatting, a PDF file is first created, which can then be reviewed. If you are using Internet Explorer with Windows 7 or earlier, you must download and install a PDF viewer, such as the free Adobe Reader, before viewing the document. Creating documents in Google docs gives me a lot of trouble, especially when developing lesson plans, so I use https://docsandslides.com/googleslides/lesson-plan/. The lesson plan in google slides format has all the necessary options for the process of editing as a part of the development of a perfect presentation.