Formatting/ Pasting

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
blopplop

Formatting/ Pasting

Post by blopplop »

Greetings,

I'm new here after just purchasing MyInfo. After putting in some major work to transfer my data from my former PIM to this one, I just discovered that copying and pasting from MI to another text editor does not maintain the formatting. For example BOLD & ITALIC show up as straight text. Wish I thought to check that before purchasing... but alas.... I'm stuck.

Is there anyway I can somehow make this work? I'll be using MI for my sermon prep, and I typically use a tool like this to data gather and compile before copying and pasting all my work into my main text editor.

I was using TreeDBnotes before, and no formatting was lost when copying from it to another program.

Hope this makes sense. I need this to work or I just wasted a bunch of cash. :(

Please tell me I'm overlooking something. :)

TIA
Dave
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Dave, which is the other text editor where bold and italic do not show up? I would like to test that.
blopplop

Post by blopplop »

Thank you for your speedy reply. I'll be putting together a response shortly to give examples. Just need to do some screen shots first.

Dave
blopplop

Post by blopplop »

Sorry I let this hang for so long. I found a workaround. The program that the formatting doesn't work with are not programs the average person would use. Bibleworks software's built in editor; Nota Bene academic software. I found that after I finish my data-gathering and info compiling, I can just export the note as an RTF file and copy and past from that into these programs.

Not sure why those two program won't accept the formatting. But I'm good.

Overall, I LOVE MI. Previously I had been a very long time user of TreeDBnotes before MI. Before that an old open source program called Keynote. TreeDBnotes was a dead program for years. I finally needed to move on. A PIM is a must for me. I don't like having a million files all over my hard drives. A PIM allows me to keep all my stuff under one roof.

dave
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Sounds like something related to the clipboard handling. When you copy something it gets stored on the windows clipboard in different file-formats (in certain order). Some contain formatting some don't. The information get fetched from the clipboard on paste. The program for pasting should pick the proper format.

You could share the clipboard content with Petko. He might be able to fix it.

1. Download https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/insideclipboard.zip (https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/inside_clipboard.html)
2. Launch InsideClipboard.exe
3. Copy some snipped with formatting from: Nota Bene academic software (or Bibleworks)
4. Go to Inside Clipboard. File -> Save -> Save to CLP File
5. Send an e-mail to support@myinfoapp.com with the CLP file attached
blopplop

Post by blopplop »

I believe you are probably correct about it being clipboard related. In fact I noticed that the clipboard program (Clipmate) has an "app profile" and the RTF profile is absent. Check out the screen shot:

clip.PNG
clip.PNG (8.69 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

The other programs on my pc all have RTF in the list. So they retain all the formatting during copy & paste. MI is more random. I even noticed yesterday that formatting (bold/italic) was not being retained while copying from one MI note to another.

BTW, even when I turn Clipmate off, formatting still isn't retained.

Thanks for trying to help,
Dave
blopplop

Post by blopplop »

Something I just had happen was, I was trying to copy & paste from an html file on my pc to MI, and all it pasted was the file address from my pc, not the text itself. This was with Clipmate turned off. My conclusion is, pasting into MI is pretty wonky from time to time. Overall though, I love the program.