[planned] TOC inside Documents?

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
JohnnFour

[planned] TOC inside Documents?

Post by JohnnFour »

I have several long Documents split up into various H2, H3, H4 sections.

Is there an easy way to create a Table of Contents at the top a Document so I can see what sections are present and to be able to click and jump to specific sections within the Document?

Normally I try to split such Documents into Sub-Documents, but I have a lot of cases where I need to keep the Document intact as a single, long item.

Having a dynamic Table of Contents at the top, say like PBWorks does, would help.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

John, this is not possible and we have no such plans for the near future. It is quite specific feature and we have many other general ones that we are going to add first.
wsp

Post by wsp »

It would be possible to do this with the "Copy link to this paragraph" command, but you would have to do it manually and remember to keep your table of contents up to date if there any changes in the text that affected the section headings.

Here's how to do it: Place cursor in heading that you want to link to. Right-click "Copy link to this paragraph." Go back to beginning of document and type the name of the section heading. Select what you have just typed. Control-k. In the hyperlink menu, control-v in the second box.

Thereafter double-clicking on the name of that section heading at the beginning of your document will take you to that particular heading.
Bill
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Bumping this. Would love to have:
  • the capability to create a TOC manually ("Insert a TOC" action on the menu/toolbar)
  • automatic refresh of the TOC in the current note as you edit it, adding/removing headers at different levels
  • have the option to automatically generate a TOC for all notes (if they have headers)
  • have a panel (that can be pinned left or right) with a clickable hierarchical tree displaying a TOC for the current note
As mentioned, longer notes can be difficult to navigate, and I often want to keep a single note for some article/document instead of splitting it into a large number of subnotes that need to be individually named, tagged etc.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

@Ivan
Exploring the area a bit. Is it really a ToC you want. Or would Navigator panel being even more useful (concept is also called outline bookmark panel/mode). A panel which would you to allow to jump to headings/bookmarks/ hyperlinks within a note

A ToC is less accessible; mostly start of the document (lots of scrolling). So lots of jumping back and forward. A navigator panel would be always accessible. You can move without much scrolling. A navigator panel could even have filter box to the panel for filtering the outline (to quickly find something); yes even outline can pretty long.

There are obviously use cases for ToC. When you want to export it to (PDF) or Print.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

@Telesto
Indeed the Navigator panel would be the best solution. Similar to the "Navigation Pane" in Microsoft Word. It would be great if it had the following capabilities:
  • the search box in that pane that highlihts the title of section names that have a matching content (Just like Word's implementation). I find that more useful than filtering the section names themselves. This would be pretty neat even for the main MyInfo perspective too.
  • it should dynamically refresh as you change indentation of existing sections, or add more sections (Word's implementation is a but buggy in that regard).
  • drag and drop support for rearranging sections/subsections, just like a normal tree view control
cadudesun

Post by cadudesun »

Ivan wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:23 am @Telesto
Indeed the Navigator panel would be the best solution. Similar to the "Navigation Pane" in Microsoft Word. It would be great if it had the following capabilities:
  • the search box in that pane that highlihts the title of section names that have a matching content (Just like Word's implementation). I find that more useful than filtering the section names themselves. This would be pretty neat even for the main MyInfo perspective too.
  • it should dynamically refresh as you change indentation of existing sections, or add more sections (Word's implementation is a but buggy in that regard).
  • drag and drop support for rearranging sections/subsections, just like a normal tree view control
+1 Navigator Panel :)
Polarigel

Post by Polarigel »

I would like to see a navigator panel showing the tabel of contents too. Actually the lack of this feature is the reason for not switching from WikidPad (that I used for 10 years) to MyInfo. I personally would be satisfied with a simple panel (like in Wikidpad) that shows all my headings with appropriate intendations, and allows to jump to them.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Now with much more demand for this feature, it is quite possible that it will be added to the next major version.
Polarigel

Post by Polarigel »

That's great! When do you expect a new major version? I want to make a note in my calender to check this out.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I can't give an exact release date yet, but probably in the end of the year or at the start of 2023.