interface is very slow when minimizing then switching back

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Coolrat

interface is very slow when minimizing then switching back

Post by Coolrat »

Hi

I recently switched to a new computer- an immensely powerfulful Thinkpad W520 with i7 processor and 16 gig ram. I thought this would resolve all my problems I was experiencing with my four-year-old dual core Thinkpad T61 with 4 gig ram.

I don't mind the slow loading time for my MyInfo files (900 meg). It takes 50 seconds or so. But what drives me batty is the fact every time I minimize the program, and then switch back to it again, it takes 4-7 seconds before it loads and displays properly. This is quite annoying and should not be happening with such a fast machine.

I frequently must minimize MyInfo as I do research, and then switch to it again when I need to make a note.
Perhaps something can be done to improve the application's sluggish response?

I hope to see MyInfo develop quickly!
gcoulthard

Post by gcoulthard »

It's too bad that MyInfo couldn't make use of the 16GB RAM as a 64-bit application. However, I noticed a huge speed improvement when I installed an SSD drive into my ThinkPad X200 tablet. So it seems that the hard drive access time could be an issue with larger MyInfo files. None of my files are that large, so I'm not sure what the impact would be.
-- Glen
wsp

Post by wsp »

I bought a Samsung Series 9 laptop, with a solid state drive, a few months ago, and I find that MyInfo loads and saves files much faster than it does on my older desktop machine. So there seem to be various factors to consider.
Bill
mirceglavni

Post by mirceglavni »

Coolrat wrote:Hi

I recently switched to a new computer- an immensely powerfulful Thinkpad W520 with i7 processor and 16 gig ram. I thought this would resolve all my problems I was experiencing with my four-year-old dual core Thinkpad T61 with 4 gig ram.

I don't mind the slow loading time for my MyInfo files (900 meg). It takes 50 seconds or so. But what drives me batty is the fact every time I minimize the program, and then switch back to it again, it takes 4-7 seconds before it loads and displays properly. This is quite annoying and should not be happening with such a fast machine.

I frequently must minimize MyInfo as I do research, and then switch to it again when I need to make a note.
Perhaps something can be done to improve the application's sluggish response?

I hope to see MyInfo develop quickly!
That's strange. I have also an cca.900 MB database, and once it's loaded, the minimise / maximise process is very quick, maybe up to an second. Did you monitor the behaviour of the system ressources with the task-manager, ie. are there any spikes in CPU-utilization when you minimise / maximise the application? What is the memory consumption of MyInfo with the big database loaded?

Are you using the Thinkpad on batery or with power cables (I suppose this is a notebook type thing that you have, sorry if mistaken). If you run it on battery, the power managment of the notebook is probably on a lower CPU-frequency, in order to conserve power.

Regarding the benefits of SSD's - MyInfo reads AND WRITES the whole database, so a fast SSD is certainly a big advantage.
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

I'm using the Thinkpad w520 plugged in on full power. Its a power-house, without a doubt.

I have no idea why MyInfo is so slow when minimizing and then switching back. But I am fairly sure that hardware is not the reason.

I hope the developer can have a look at this issue and see if something can be done. Thanks!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Is it possible that the Tools > Options > Save > Always Save on Minimize option is turned on?
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Hi!
I was not able to find any option "Allways save on minimize"

In my tools-options-save there are only the following options:
- Always create backup copy (turned ON)
- Automatic save (every 10 min -- turned ON)
- Automatic save on exit (turned OFF)

The program is still very slow in responding when I switch to MyInfo after it has been minimized. At least 3 seconds before I can use it. And its especially slow when I use it in full-screen mode. The problem cannot be my graphics driver - this notebook has a very fast graphics card.
mirceglavni

Post by mirceglavni »

The option Petko was reffering to can be found under Options / Advanced (last item in the options dialogue).
Coolrat

Post by Coolrat »

Thank you.
I checked Options / Advanced and "Save on Minimize" is not checked. (also, strangely, it is the 2nd item from the top on my version 6.06.

When my computer is running on battery, the problem is more pronounced. But when plugged in, this should not be happening at all. I wonder what is going on!

I'm quite crazy about MyInfo and hope to see a significant update in the coming days.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Coolrat, the problem is strange. We have no other reports like this one. Could you give me more information at support@milenix.com?

Do you get the same delay when different topics are open? What if no topics are open at all? Are there document windows open when you minimize MyInfo?