On 5.6 beta

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
Fred

On 5.6 beta

Post by Fred »

If I'm not mistaken, the tabs - and the characters within - are smaller now (or is it just the darker background making me thinking so?). Good! And the color changes make the use of several colors much more possible indeed! Tremendous idea (I didn't have for once) to invert the active vs. not active colors: Problem resolved, with a minimum of effort, elegant solution indeed!

Now, with colors distinguishable (and not washed out any more for all but one, the active one but which is well distinguished by its 3-sides border), it's finally possible to have main subjects, the according sub-subjects, standards subjects and urgent subjects = 4 colors clearly distinguished for "tasking" (whilst systematic grouping is by abc, like a, ab, ac, aca, acd, aci, b, be, etc., etc., together with "SortTabs") - that distinguishing not (yet) possible with favorites, is indeed possible with tabs - to the difference, indeed, that favorites would not necessarily be loaded, just for having a view on them, whereas topics encoded by tab colors must currently be loaded altogether, just in order to have them in sight.

BUG: the keyboard command "topic color" doesn't do anything, please make it work! (It's similar to the bug in 5.07 where color and background color assignments were NOT triggered by the respective keyboard commands... and those assigned shortcuts do NOT appear in the menu (I tried with several hotkeys).) It's urgent for me since now I'm color-encoding my tabs, and depending on their state of ToDo / Done, I must recolor them frequently!

Only a handful of these colors are clearly distinguishable, but this gives us 5, 6 or 7 colors indeed by which to code our tasks, and which is largely sufficient for immediate distinction. But then, the color "Orange" is always called "Organge" - is this in the component and cannot thus be done away with?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Title above text = bold = much better! Unfortunately, this formatting makes the wrong positioning of the title that much more prominent! The title MUST begin with the text in the text field. Since text control = TRichViewEdit and title above is TPanel, and if indent in text within TPanel is impossible, you could easily indent the whole TPanel, and underlay it with a borderless frame of the same color. If you think I'm wrong, please make it an option at least ("Indent Text Above Text" or something), and 90 p.c. of users will happily put that option ON. Since the ruler is TRVRuler and thus does not depend on TPanel, or vice versa, different positioning of those disctinct components should be done without problems.
Fred

Post by Fred »

In the "What's New" lines, you say the search field / search toolbar is longer now? Not by 2 or 3 mm, that is? I thought you meant you made it elongible / elongatible = to be elongated by mouse, but I tried in vain to do that; the current size is a bad as the ancient one (if there is any difference indeed, imperceptible to me). As said before, an elongible search field would be nice for people who do ( / work sessions where there is ) lots of long search entries (= by combination, boolean searches, etc.). Isn't there any chance to make the search toolbar unbound, in order to place it in the menu line or in the tab line or in the caption line, as you can do, e.g. with the (transformed) Favorites Toolbar? Again, those of us using netbooks 800x600 or other quitePads...
Fred

Post by Fred »

We all know my internal tree linking system for topics by now; I first had not optioned yet for "Loading web files automatically = NO", so MI tried to load the linked topics with loading the wanted topics. This triggered chaos even when by Escape and mouse clicks in tree this behavior was finished.

Some of the loaded topics presented this behavior then: Clicking in the tree opened the items, scrolling by up/down arrow in the tree was fine.

Some presented this behavior, though: Clicking in the tree opened the items, but scrolling by arrows displayed the right item indeed, but the "selection bar" in the tree was gone, so you didn't know where in the tree you were. The title above the text was displayed indeed, so the displayed items could be identified, but in the tree you were lost.

Some other topics presented this behavior: Focus was stuck on the very first item = link to itself. No clicking / scrolling in the tree made you change that item.

Thus, I changed the options to "Save by default on closing" to NO (and "Loading web files automatically" to NO, of course), in order to avoid saving errors that made have occured, and by restart, those bugs didn't occur anymore since they are triggered by MI's try to automatically load topics where the cursor is in the tree. Since we need this functionality, and since this bug did NOT occur (even with the option set to YES) before 5.6, it should be overcome.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Tried to load some 10 topics by control-selecting them in FreeCommander, then Return. Got Access violation at address 00862A13 in module MyInfo.exe, Read of address 000 000 10

008629FE mov eax, [edx+$08]
00862A01 ret
00862A02 nop
00862A03 nop
00862A04 mov eax, [eax+$10]
00862A07 mov edx, [eax]
00862A09 call dword ptr [edx+$0230]
00862A0F ret
00862A10 push ebx
00862A11 mov ebx, eax
00862A13 mov eax, [ebx+$10] ; <-- EXCEPTION
00862A16 call +$0001753D
00862A1B cmp ebx, eax
00862A1D setz al
00862A20 pop ebx
00862A21 ret

Only 3 of the about 10 topics were loaded then, and not in alphabetical order (but perhaps in disk storage order).
Fred

Post by Fred »

Workspaces (commands "SaveAsWS" and "Open WS")

I'm very glad to see these commands here, must try them out. As said before, ideally, workspaces / projects should be loadable concurrently (and thus we need a dialogue permitting the adjoining of (open or not) topics to given projects, not only "save all open topics as a "WS": You would have some standard topics, or standard topics for certain tasks, and then, on top of that, specific topics applying only to a specific task (as my laywer example where the civil law topics are loaded as standards, plus the topics concerning customer 1 here, topics concerning customer 2 there).

As it is, WS permit to resolve some lesser problems, lesser in extent but more important even for everyday use. As said before, you cannot foresee in what "shape" you want MI to open next time, and even when you had in mind to open a certain project then, perhaps sometime before (= on the road perhaps, or needing to note some new ideas into your netbook before going to sleep late in the evening), you just need a "note taker"... and up to now, I opened the MS Editor then, being too much afraid to have to wait for 2, 3 minutes in order to MI to load my current projects = 40 topics.

Now, you can open MI with just your inbox loaded, and from this immediate-loading state, you then will open any WS.

Of course, as it is, this presents several problems, but as an intermediate solution, it's PURE GOLD!

The problems are:

- You are not given the project choice before MI really starts but have to manually choose the current WS once MI has loaded some standard file; of course, you can make MI load nothing at this time; by this you'd have a neat screen at least, but it's an aesthetical question: Choose your prime subject (= or perhaps all the standards, except for just taking some notes) for today, by the program's opening, not triggering MI, wait some seconds for it to load, then choose your stuff. I admit that it's purely aesthetical, but it's natural to not have to wait for having presented this choice.

- The startup options, load nothing, load current, load these (and use current for that selection, in case of) ain't what they were now: Gladly, no one would continue now to pre-set this "load these..." / "load these (use current)" since by this, you risk mandatorily loading the wrong topics, whilst using the new WS function will always get you the right topics in every situation (if you have stored those WS that is). Again, this cluttering, startup options being made obsolete by a new (and much better) function, instead of integrating them (= no startup options, but a welcome screen with such options = list of 10 WS, and "load nothing", and, by shift/control click, load several WS at a time), is an aesthetical problem more than anything else.

- As said above, WS combinations should be possible; see my extensive developments earlier in this forum.

- Since those WS are stored in little text files, I suppose they are not updated whenever you rename or delete a topic (neither, of course, when you shift important content from one (featured) topic into another (not featured yet), or whenever you don't need any topic in a given WS anymore). Thus, as everywhere for reasons of easy checking / updating of data, I'd largely prefer you putting this data into an array (stored in a text file at leaving MI and to be read from there at each start), so as to be able to make this project list automatically updatable at some moment; in fact, since those WS are NOT YET concurrently loadable, many of them would necessarily comprise the same "standard" topics, again and again, and if ever you rename such a standard topic, you'll have the doubtful pleasure to rename (or delete) it manually in many such little text files (and to search all of them for it, to begin with).

Of course, with a programmable editor like TSE (= the one I work with, see in the web under "Semware"), you can automate this searching / deleting / renaming, but then, each time you rename / delete a topic, you must run that macro, so this is not a long-term solution for harcore user like me, and not a solution at all for everybody who just wants to have a smoothly working information manager, without having to program in third-party programs for that; besides, AI could do it even better, but AI must then be integrated as a macro, for every renaming / deleting commands with regards to topics, that must then be intercepted by the macro - that wouldn't be that easy if fully automatted.

- And finally, real project management cannot be done but if there is also "loading" of items, not just topics, but this is subject to discussion elsewhere.

- All this being said, the introduction of WS is a TREMENDOUS step ahead for any MI power user; as an intermediate solution, it's a splendid thing to have as it is. (I write all this without having tried...)

EDIT: So I tried WS out: I'm disappointed. In fact, you can load several WS concurrently indeed, but there is so little elegance in the function, I prefer my macros: doing a project's title in the tree, then do

"a.mio" "b.mio" "z.mi"

etc in the first line of the textfield of that project's title item (btw, it's sufficient to do "a" "b" c" etc.), then browse my projects in the tree and trigger my macro (= just loading all files listed in that first text field line).

For saving a WS, the key-assigned and the menu command are identical: They open the Open Dialog, in order to store the WS in a file, as said; for opening a WS, the commands are not totally identical: Whereas the menu command by Alt-f and then w opens the Open Dialog, just like the keyboard command does, Alt-w and then click on the right arrow of the menu entry opens a little list of some (1-16 to be precise) WS, less ugly than the Open Dialog, but even here there's a funny thing: In fact, the LENGTH of that list depends on the COMMON setting, now, of the list length option that had originally been there just for "open topics" list; it's evident that some people, just working in WS, do NOT want to have ANY topic in the recent topic list, but want the max number (=16) of projects at hand: no way, at this time, it's down to 1 (instead of zero!!!) or anything up to 16, but with no differenciation. But then, you must click on that arrow, any pressing of the key "w" when the menu is open, will open the Open Dialog already, thus no mouseless macro use in order to get just the list (with indications as to its contents, or not).

Since there is no special table or something to get in "commentaries" (= some descriptions as to the contents of those WS), in fact that function does less for me than my own macro, where I can use the remaining space of the screen = further text lines in the project's text field, in order to make notes for that WS / project, containing details to do, its contents / files contained in the project, remarks on the state of affairs, etc.

Thus, I'm ready to re-assgn both command keys to other commands and will not use any of those commands, but stick to my macros, waiting for something better (the middle-term need for items, instead just topics, to be included in such a function notwithstanding)...

This being said, 90 p.c. of MI users probably do not use macros, and thus, the new function with its two subfunctions could be handy for them.

The most important point in all this being the request for such a WS pane to be visible all the time by option, and in tree form = click on a heading = load all topics in that WS = heading, and allowing for clicking on some files one by one and even by shift/control click. (Which is not possible in the Open Dialog: there you click on just ONE WS, shift- and control-click not working there.)

BTW, I tried other things. I thought, ok, there's now the possibility to have any text page in that special pane, so why not have the links, instead of having them in a tree, in any text field, i.e. in several text FIELDS of several items somewhere, and then, instead of having favorites to the left border of my screen, or some third party applic, I position that "extra text frame" of MI itself there, to the left of my main tree?

Well, it's ugly, and then, whilst links cut/copy/paste well from one tree into another, the do NOT paste into a text field... and then, it's so more natural to put lists into trees, than into text fields...

So please, instead of just giving us a floating text field that depends on some "complete item" somewhere, also give as a floating (but dockable of course) TREE that depends on some "real item" somewhere, and that will work on the "real" tree, i.e. double clicking in that zero tree will show those links = topics in the main tree, to start with, no updating yet but, as is with favorites by now, just the minimal thing from which we then will complain on for having better solutions.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Nothing to do with 5.6 in particular, but a command that's missing from beginning, and that would be handy... and that's present in other outliners: "SaveThisSubtreeAsANewTopic" - but it would only be handy if it took the settings for the new topic from the current one. Make it "copy" instead of "cut", though, as contenders also do, since if it's right that in most cases, the user must then manually save the remaining topic, after having manually removed - cut / deleted - that same subtree, this lessens the risk of losing data, especially since such subtrees often contain lots of data / graphics / etc.: Thus, just the copying of the subtree sometimes (= with many graphics in it) can easily take some minute or two.

I do this up to now: I have a dummy topic, zz, with the options set to my preferences. I load it, then rename it under the name I want it to have, then go back to the "export topic", select the given heading, cut it, go back to the new topic, paste, save all... all this manually, in order to not lose data in a macro not allowing perhaps for enough time for the data to stay integral. Since MI's strengths lie - as extensively developed by me in previous posts / threads - in the cutting up and then re-arrangement of clusters of data (and not in building up monster files), such a command will ENCOURAGE users to use MI the RIGHT way in which MI gives'em its real goodies!
Fred

Post by Fred »

As said before, if tree has focus, there are 9 menus, whilst in text, there are 10 menus (incl. Table). Now you changed the double assignment of "a"... into a double assignment again, "i" that is!

At this time, there's A E F H I O T V W; reassign A to Favorites, then assign B to Table, and voilà !
Fred

Post by Fred »

As said, please make the status line optionable. It takes screen height (800x600 even if I don't have a netbook yet), it displays no valuable info for me - and I crave for a neat screen, and I'm not alone in that: that's why Jobs' such a rich man.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'm not sure if you did some work on the (tab and items) histories; sometimes I've had this impression, and then again, there was the old behavior: You go forth and back with the "back in history" key, but then, it doesn't toggle anymore but takes you to more ancient items (= third and fourth items) you don't want to go to (= if you just try, toggling manually, then using the keys, the downwards in history key seems to work well, but up to a point only, and in real working, nothing functions as expected here, and the "forward in history" is mostly void of any sense: it certainly doesn't bring you to the other one of two items, by falsely toggling, in real work, whilst the tab history seems to work better than the items history. In any case, the history list(s) contain(s) a lot of doubles in it if you went to some items again and again, so it's really necessary to overhaul this feature from scratch on, as explained before.

PLEASE WORK on the real toggle as soon as possible, I really need it desperately, and many users do! The history functions, as they are, interfere with your work instead of helping you get it done, it's really an urgent matter, the toggles at least! (And a displayable (= by option) frame to see, finally, where those history commands take you... and to click there by mouse, the interest of such a frame being that it allows for clicking / displaying an item not listed anywhere else on the screen!)
Fred

Post by Fred »

The problem of empty items (with ruler even if the topic in question doesn't have any) flashing before topics are really loaded, persists (but only when loading some topics when MI is already running - when MI loads a lot of topics on start-up, it's a grey rectangle: good!). As with other things, if it's not possible by other means (FreezeScreen function or something), put some rectangles onto the screen in order to hide the goings-on (because of the "amateurish" character of such things that must be avoided at any cost i.e. even by devious means).
Fred

Post by Fred »

Color / Background Color assignments by shortkey: perfect now!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Commands GoFirst / GoLast (= item in tree) work flawless, finally: sigh of relief!
Fred

Post by Fred »

As in 5.5, there isn't any "search by key pressing" function for the tree in 5.6 yet. If we also get the traditional way of entering SINGLE characters instead of character combinations - or, why not, the traditional way overtaking after 1500 ms without passing a second char?! -, that would be splendid (since, as said before, all other programs do it otherwise and similar within their group, I cannot get accustomed to MI's way here since elsewhere, I try to do it wrongly, and vice versa, so I AVOID this function in MI altogether, which is certainly not what a program should want to cause, especially with such an important function to be used again and again every day!).
Fred

Post by Fred »

As said before (and developed in detail), there should be another / a normal text pane (perhaps with chamois background) for "Web Resource" pages that are in fact internal links to other topics.

In a second step, then, it should be possible to do internal links, IN TREE, to ITEMS of OTHER topics, in a first step WITHOUT updating yet, i.e. without checking for deleting, renaming and shifting. Please let's remember that in FAVORITES, such "links" are indeed possible yet (if not really handy), and thus, the foundations for making possible such links to items in other topics are there

In a third step only, those links could then be managed in a professional way, i.e. by checking any items' processing anywhere up on such a link - or several of them! - being possibly affected by such changes anywhere, and those links could be automatically updated then.