Cannot insert data document from existing file

Legacy MyInfo versions topics and topics that are no longer relevant
bevanj

Cannot insert data document from existing file

Post by bevanj »

Today, I have been unable to insert a data document from an existing file (for example, a PDF of 1.4 Mb, but the problem applies to any data document of appropriate size). All I get from the Insert|Document command is the message "Navigation to the webpage was canceled". I should add that I am not trying to insert a web document. Because the problem occurs in each of my Topics when I attempt to use the Insert|Document command, I cannot (at least by that means) determine which Topic might contain the corrupt data (if the problem is corrupt data). I also reinstalled MyInfo but that action, too, did not resolve the problem.

I would appreciate any help that might lead me to diagnosing the source of the problem and resolving the issue.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Probably the file is inserted properly, but the problem is that MyInfo tries to display it directly in it's internal browser. Try removing the .pdf extension from Tools > Options > Browser > Open files from the following file types in the internal browser.
bevanj

Post by bevanj »

Thank you, Petko.

That approach resolves the problem, although it is not my preferred outcome. I am puzzled why I can view embedded png, jpg and xps files in MI's internal browser without difficulty, but not receive the same result with pdf files (which would be my preference, although xps will do). Is this something peculiar to my set-up or simply the way the MI browser works?
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

It depends on the setup of Internet Explorer. If it can open PDF files directly in its windows, then you will be able to see them in MyInfo too (MI uses IE rendering engine for web pages and internal file view).

Maybe this will help:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/328/328233.html
bevanj

Post by bevanj »

Ah! That helpful advice has led me to what seems to be the core of the problem, at least for me. The difficulties I have experienced all appear to flow from installation of Adobe Reader X. After uninstalling that program and reinstalling Adobe Reader v9.4.1, I have experienced no further problems.

Thank you for your help and guidance, Petko. I appreciate your assistance. :P

Kind regards,
bevan