Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:12 pm
Otherwise known as back-links or two-way linking. When I hyperlink to a note it would be really helpful if the target note shows me what is linking to it (or an info window, doesn't have to be in the body of the note). This function could probably only apply to links that stay within the Myinfo file. It's pretty standard on wikis, even the basic ones. Maybe there is a fundamental data structure difference between wikis and info managers that makes this hard to do. Or maybe it's just a very rarely asked-for function.
Zim, ConnectedText, and Tiddlywiki do this (among many other wikis). For info managers, I think NotecasePro is the only one I know of that shows 'what links to here' but it's through an add-in and you have to execute a report. It's not something that's just automatically shown when you first open the note.
I just believe that when data is important enough to link to as a target, then the target itself can be even more valuable by showing all the entities that are referring to it. Tale of two notes.
1. One lonely report about a repair on a a bicycle... I know the date it was created, I can see how many times I accessed it, see notes about it that are attached to it....with Myinfo I can even see it sitting under that task tree from 2012 and also the 'household equipment' info tree due to cloning. But it's been several years since I accessed it, probably not important, ok to delete or archive to a backup place...
2. Same report but it tells me everything that mentions it as a reference. That time I was learning CAD and mused about 3D printing that bike part. My diary about that trip when it broke down. The budget item from that year. So maybe I still delete it...but at least I have the chance to consider what 'links to here' may be broken if I do. Then I can decide to keep it or maybe just copy some of it into one of those link sources and delete it because the other sources will never matter again. Links being 'active' things with awareness on both ends gives our data a whole new dimension!
- MyInfo Support
- Posts: 2631
- Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:33 pm
This is something that is planned for MyInfo 7. You are not the only one asking for it, so there is interest in this feature (but it requires file format changes, which will be done in MyInfo 7).
- Posts: 42
- Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:16 am
Any idea when MyInfo 7 might be released ?
Just a ballpark figure.