[fixed] MI 7 file timestamps updating every minute

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
zaaman41

[fixed] MI 7 file timestamps updating every minute

Post by zaaman41 »

Unfortunately MI 7 is wreaking havoc with my automated backup software. With MI 6 I have it set up to do a remote backup everytime the file is modified which is only when I manually save it. With MI 7 I notice the timestamps are being updated every minute with an open file even if I'm not actively updating it or saving it. Typically I keep MI open in the background because I use it as a daily diary and a place to store research and notable url's. Can someone explain why the timestamp is being updated every minute for open files in MI 7. Is there a way to turn this off. MI 7 backup settings don't have any settings related to this. It's only # of backup copies and where to save them.

Here is a video of the file timestamps changing.
https://share.getcloudapp.com/DOuDPzow
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Saves a triggered by different circumstances. Mostly context switching. However if the editor is focused interval is used - 60 seconds - to save (if it wouldn't and you didn't change context and MyInfo crashes data gets lost).
But this might this appears to be kind of aggressive approach (or slightly to simplistic). MyInfo simply saves without checking for actual change in the last 60 seconds. Which would explain the current 'continuous' stream of saves (new timestamps).

Maybe the currently logic being slightly to simple. Obviously downside of more 'logic' is making mistakes (where stuff isn't saved, but should be saved). But well writing 'empty' every 60 seconds.. doesn't seem right either.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

In fact, these 60 seconds changes are related to MyInfo locking the currently edited note, so if the same file is open by other people or from multiple places, the note won't be accessible for editing. I agree that the approach is a little bit aggressive, so I will think of other solutions.

This locking interval can be increased, but if the app crashes, it won't release the lock to the note and other installations of MyInfo won't be able to edit the note for longer. I agree that currently it is tailored for the worst case scenario and I think that the interval can be increased safely to something larger.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Petko wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:33 am In fact, these 60 seconds changes are related to MyInfo locking the currently edited note, so if the same file is open by other people or from multiple places, the note won't be accessible for editing. I agree that the approach is a little bit aggressive, so I will think of other solutions.

This locking interval can be increased, but if the app crashes, it won't release the lock to the note and other installations of MyInfo won't be able to edit the note for longer. I agree that currently it is tailored for the worst case scenario and I think that the interval can be increased safely to something larger.
True, but well I doubt that any reasonable increase will solve the problem described here. Even if you set it to 10 minutes.
BTW, how common is multi-usage setup? Can the 'lock' not be a 'thing' to enable in options for multi-user settings? Would exclude non-shared environments.. It's really depends on setup.
zaaman41

Post by zaaman41 »

Could the multi-user setup/file locking be enabled with a check box in options? I can't be the only person trying use to file replication software with the popularity of dropbox. Don't get me wrong. I didn't even know about multiuser. That's cool!
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

For the time being, I will extend the note locking to 15 minutes until I think carefully about possible alternatives and solutions.
zaaman41

Post by zaaman41 »

Appreciate it. Actually this may be the software that is the tipping point for me to get a NAS. I'm assuming this is one of the scenario's file locking is for? I would potentially have the same notebook open on a laptop and desktop and could update as necessary depending on which one I was using?