[fixed] Make selected note NOT change background color like in MI6

Tell us what could be improved in MyInfo
Crystal401

[fixed] Make selected note NOT change background color like in MI6

Post by Crystal401 »

In MI 7.2, the selected note in the note list changes the background color to white.
As a result, I can not use white font for the notes in the note list. (with black background)

Can we have the option to revert to the way MI 6 has been doing?
The selected note's font / background color stayed exactly same, and only the cell border were highlighted with a dotted line.
This seems to be the perfect solution.

Regards,
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Fixed in MyInfo 7.2 (build 7076).
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Well, lets say I'm less enthusiastic about this change in current form.

* If I click a search result, I really have hard time to track the note down in the tree structure. The dotted line not really distinct.
* It looks odd when having multiple columns (and select an entry). See screenshot

I do acknowledge that 'highlighting on mouse over' and selected item color being pretty confusing. (Related: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7533)

I do understand that the selection color might cause issues in certain setups. And I well readability isn't that great with selection active. I likely would make less bright/ more transparent.
Being able to configure the selected note behaviour would give the ultimate flexibility. So which color the selection should be/ maybe type of dotted border (including thickness). Especially if you have customized background color.

And people asking for AMOLED/Dark mode etc.. So selection color (currently for the other columns) will be a thing anyhow.
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 4181 times
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

I forgot, CTRL+A in tree also looks odd. The active note doesn't have a selection
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Another issue. If you have highlighting color set for tree item & the item gets selected, the highlighting disappears.
If there is no 'change in background color' this shouldn't happen, I think (prefer).

I'm still seeing overlay color (or selected) with ability to set transparency as most effective.

Also black background should invert the font color (if this should be case other than black is open for discussion). Setting font color to white makes it harder to export/print something.

So I'm also kind of interested of the background for the initial request from Crystal401. The reason for the request might be a certain setup which lacks a certain functionality (like darkmode). Request looks more like bending/ abusing a proper functioning tool to get desired result in a particular setup. I surely get that. I do request things in my own interest too (forgetting the other group). However this end up in flip-flop. One groups users 'feature' is another's groups bug. Resulting in constantly alienating/ displeasing a group of people. And this doesn't have to be a binary choice.
Crystal401

Post by Crystal401 »

Telesto:
For all notebooks, I use black background and white text. This is my temporary solution for a dark mode.
Previously, the selected note was unreadable as the background and text both ended up white. Now, I can finally
upgrade from MI 6 to MI 7.
I agree with you that the ability to customize the selected note (font/background/border) would be the ideal solution.
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

Crystal401 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:05 pm Telesto:
For all notebooks, I use black background and white text. This is my temporary solution for a dark mode.
Previously, the selected note was unreadable as the background and text both ended up white. Now, I can finally
upgrade from MI 6 to MI 7.
I agree with you that the ability to customize the selected note (font/background/border) would be the ideal solution.
Thanks for the reply.. I assumed so. It's technically better to address this differently in the long run. The current fix isn't truly fixing the underlying issue and creating problems on it's own. Making the issue more diffuse.

Originally there was the pressure to create dark mode. The complains ease if people get a work around (lowering priority) At the same point new group of complains being created (make note selected indicator). Which appears to be unrelated to dark-mode (with lower priority too). And a simple revert of the selection color without additional fix, will cause angry mob formed by those who have darkmode setup (obviously). So interest get split interests which paves the way for power grabs at UX: "Divide and rule"

I think, we as - users - have actually a common interest: the ability to customize the selected note (font/background/border), which is a necessity for dark-mode anyhow, IMHO

There also enough roles/perspectives with objections:
The risk management department will complain about increased code complexity, and likelihood of bugs. De engineer has to cope with the increases complexity and has to spend lots of time on things perceived as 'triviality's (and trivial bugs). The homo economics will complain about the cost/benefit ratio (a feature which being used by maybe 20% of the users; most will go for default settings). For QA perspective more settings means it becomes harder to test everything. Or the automatic testing framework must be expanded (which really time consuming to setup and maintain).
The users who don't care about dark-mode complain resources being dedicated to that specific task

Marketing probably also pro dark-mode..

In essence simply politics & policy's in small scale. With pressure groups (complain user groups). Politicians deciding Executive body executing (developers/ QA) and lovely interaction. With one advantage at this point in time. That lots of those functions/roles being represented by one person :wink:
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Dark mode is still in the works, Telesto. Don't worry :)