Editing docx attachment in Word

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
grahamrhind

Editing docx attachment in Word

Post by grahamrhind »

Hi,

Stupid newbie question, but how do I open a docx attachment in Word to edit it? I suppose it's an attachment - it wasn't meant to be imported, in any case, and I cannot see an attribute telling me its status. When I click on the file in the notes tree it opens in the notes editor, but no matter where I click or which menus I search in, I cannot find a way to open this in Word for editing.

Thanks in advance!

Graham
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

How did you insert the DOCX?
A. Insert -> Note from files
B. Insert -> Attachment

"Note from files" does import the text from the DOCX to MyInfo; without attaching the DOCX too. You're losing the DOCX
'Attachment'' does add the DOCX to a pre-existing note. which can be opened in Word

You can import note from files and attach the DOCX in a second step. Having the content visible in Editor + DOCX for editing.

---
A non-existing but possible feature might be that 'Note from files' has option too not only import the text as a note and also adds the DOCX as attachment. So you can read the content in MyInfo but having the DOCX at the same time.
Locking the note editor (with DOCX content) would make sense. Else someone might edit the 'text in the editor of MyInfo' without changing the DOCX (which causes mismatch). Obviously a change in the DOCX should update the content of the note.
grahamrhind

Post by grahamrhind »

Thanks Telesto. I imported via "Folders & Files", and there were no options there to attach instead of embed. I see now the difference between the insert and attachment routes. It would be useful to make this distinction much clearer to the user, and to clearly show which files are embedded and which are attached. (This may already be the case, but to a newbie it's rather unclear).
Telesto

Post by Telesto »

grahamrhind wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:05 am Thanks Telesto. I imported via "Folders & Files", and there were no options there to attach instead of embed. I see now the difference between the insert and attachment routes. It would be useful to make this distinction much clearer to the user, and to clearly show which files are embedded and which are attached. (This may already be the case, but to a newbie it's rather unclear).
I agree with you that the situation could be improved.

I prefer self-explaining captions: I was thinking about "Import file as note" instead of "Note from files". And "Attach file to note" instead of "Attachment"; to make clear what it is doing.

"Import files & folders" and "note from files" are equal as far I know. Only difference is 'batch' against selected files

"Note from files" creates a new note entry & attached the file 'as attachment' when it can't read the file. Like when importing DOC. Which probably the thing you wanted to happen with your DOCX files.

Also maybe an option should be added to choose if a file DOCX gets as attachment to new note or imported as text. Maybe yet even with the option to attaching the file + create import the text.