[fixed] Compacting a file

Discuss MyInfo and get help here
Jon

[fixed] Compacting a file

Post by Jon »

Hi Petko:

I had a large database with several sections. After reorganizing, I decided to delete most sections and then empty the trash. I should note that the database was around 1GB and the deleted sections represented about 90% of the file size. Compacting the file did not reduce the size as expected. As an experiment, I copied the remaining sections and their contents to a new database and the resulting size was 9672KB.

Am I doing something wrong or is compacting not working properly?

Using 7.2.0.7157 portable.

Thank you Petko.

Jon
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

Please keep in mind that if these changes are stored in revisions, the compact won't have an impact. If you want to do a real compact, you need first to delete existing revisions from View > Panes > Revisions.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thing is, this was informational storage for a research project. None of the captured pages were altered. I see the revisions were at the default setting (20) but I assume that with no changes, there was no space being used. Is this an incorrect assumption?

Jon

UPDATE: I see in some other similar databases revisions exist when I thought there should be none. In these cases, I tried deleting all and compacting the database. The difference in size was meager.
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I've done some research and you are right: some of the resources are not deleted immediately after emptying the trash. This will be fixed in the next build.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thank you for looking into this.

Jon
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Petko:

Has this been totally fixed? I ask because while it is better I still experience what I think is an overly large file. For example, I had a database consisting of just 68 notes, The size was 27MB. After deleting all notes, clearing the revisions and emptying the trash, the size is just under 20MB. I would expect it would be closer to the size of a new database - 744KB. Is this incorrect?

Thank you.

Jon
nocar

Post by nocar »

Jon, I agree with your observations and expectations. To illustrate, I conducted some experiments with trying to compact MyInfo 7 files:

1. My original file, db-1.mnb, is 3,936 KB in size.

2. I exported db1.mnb to a new MyInfo Notebook, db-2.mnb, which has a 3,944 KB size.

3. Using db2.mnb, I go to File | Notebook Properties | uncheck Store last 20 revisions then delete all notes, empty the Trash and finally compact the file resulting in a 2,416 KB file size. In other words, my "completely empty" file continues to be 60% the size of my original file.

4. As a final test, I export the "empty" 2,416 KB db2.mnb to a new MyInfo Notebook, db-3.mnb, which finally has the same 744 KB size as any brand new file.

Hopefully, these issues with compacting files can be corrected in a future program update as Petko has suggested.

George
Petko
MyInfo Support

Post by Petko »

I can confirm that it works only partially now. If you do any of the above, close and reopen the notebook and use Compact, it will work as expected. Starting with the next update, it will work immediately after doing any of the above steps.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Thank you Petko.

Jon